Following Jesus is the minimal requirement for living in and personally presenting the Christian faith. It is a lifelong commitment and journey for each and every disciple of Jesus and requires a basic set of knowledge and skills. In our church we fully recognize that Christians are not somehow magically imparted this knowledge or these skills in some instantaneous fashion, but rather, are formed by bible study, prayer, worship, experience, and intentional learning. To that end, we offer to God's people the following opportunities for enhancing and deepening their life in Christ on a personal basis, as families, and as a community of persons striving to be all that Christ calls us to be.
Adult Christian Formation Discipleship Opportunities
The ministry of lay persons is to represent Christ and his Church; to bear witness to him wherever they may be; and, according to the gifts given them, to carry on Christ's work of reconciliation in the world, and to take their place in the life, worship, and governance of the Church. (The Catechism, Book of Common Prayer, p. 855, on the Ministry of the Laity)
These simple, but awesome words, taken directly from our prayer book, highlight the need of all adult Christians to continually grow, not just in knowledge but in personal relationship to Jesus Christ as their Lord and Savior. If we fail to do so, how can we do what the Prayer Book directs as a fairly basic and minimal exercise of our faith?
To that end, the following opportunities are offered to adults to enhance their faith and encourage them in their daily walk with Jesus Christ:
- Tuesday B2B Study Group - led by Andy Menger, this group meets weekly every Tuesday at 10:00 am, to discuss applications and understandings of the B2B readings from the past week. Grab a cup of coffee from the kitchen and come and join us for open ended and exciting conversations about the bible. This group meets in the Conference Room.
- Tuesday Small Book Group - every Tuesday at 5:00 pm, to discuss a variety of spiritual books, choosing a new book every month or so. Come join the conversation! For more information contact Lydia Bliven-Smyth at 706-733-9852 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Class meets in Room 302.
- Wednesday Evenings: Join us for supper and then gather at 6:30 pm to learn about Biblical topics of current interest and/or lead a discussion on the gospel passage for the coming Sunday. These have been highly popular with our adults who attend Wednesday night activites. We are done at 7:15 pm. Please bring your bible! This class is led by Robert Fain and Andy Menger and meets in the Conference Room at 6:30 pm.
- Bible Studies - A Men's Bible Study meets every Thursday in the Conference Room at 7:00 am. The Women's Bible Study meets every Thursday morning in the Conference Room at 8:30 am.
- Thursday Men's Group - every Thursday at 11:00 am. This group meets in the Conference Room.
- Education for Ministry (EfM) - this is an in-depth and formal study of theology and scripture developed by the School of Theology at the University of the South and is somewhat like a mini-seminary degree. It provides an in-depth look at Scriptures, Theology and Church History, and strengthens lay people for fuller service in God's kingdom. This group meets Thursdays, 6:30 - 9:00 pm and is led by Curtis Johnson, in Room 303.
- B2B: The Bible Strikes Back: In 2014, the whole parish was invited to read the bible together, and we are continuing that, as we read various books about our faith. For the most current reading schedule click HERE.